sidebar pic
sidebar pic




Powered by Blogger
 

Life of Colleen: Wardrobe development, continued



Previous Posts
· Nars eyeshadow thoughts
· Perfume split/decant wiki
· Happy Friday!: Music on tv
· photograph courtesy Ross Taylor
· Wardrobe ponderings
· I'm feeling Kinky!
· What I've been into, lately
· Does Dr. Hauschka skincare ever go on sale?
· Office clothes for hot weather
· Crystal Body Deodorant review part 2

OOTD pics
Work wardrobe pics
Weekend wardrobe pics

Archives

independent fashion bloggers
What do programmers actually wear? Work wardrobe thoughts for a profession with no dress code, plus fashion, product reviews, et cetera.
Current blog
Profile
Contact
More product reviews
Children's art
 Subscribe in a reader

Search only this blog:


Google Custom Search

Other Wardrobe/Fashion Blogs & Sites
The Sartorialist
Fashion For Nerds
That's Chic
keiko lynn
respect the shoes
District of Chic
That Damn Green Dress
Bulo Shoes blog
Chictopia

J.Crew-Oriented Blogs
Gigi's Gone Shopping
J. Crew Aficionada
A Bigger Closet
Modestly Styled. Modestly Me.
My closet, my baby and I
770 Behind The Line (the (un)official J.Crew blog)

Makeup Blogs & Sites
Natural Kath
Makeup & Beauty Blog
Temptalia
Cosmetic Candy
Rouge Deluxe
Tracy's Beauty Blogsphere
Front Row Beauty (some fashion as well)
iCompact


Wardrobe development, continued
posted by Colleen Shirazi on Monday, September 15, 2008 at 12:01 AM (Pacific)


May I firstly declare, in writing, upon this day of September 15, 2008, that I am, have always been, and will always be, a confirmed cheapskate.

That does not mean I'm averse to spending money, and sometimes large amounts of it. A low price does not mean a better bargain. Please do not confuse these terms.

A minor example would be the Nars eyeshadow duos previously mentioned. They're $32 a pop now, I think. You can buy eyeshadow duos at Target or drugstores for far less than that.

The thing is this. The Nars duos work. I don't need to shop for eyeshadow; I haven't for years. Other shadows, including MAC and Urban Decay, can turn hard in the pan after a year, to the point they must be discarded.

But it's more than that. The Nars shadows look good...better than Dior or Lancome. So I need not look at other brands of shadow, wondering what I'm missing.

Time has a monetary value, along with gas and wear and tear on your car. The key is to find your brand of eyeshadow, whatever that may be. I decided up front I'd be willing to pay Dior prices if Dior did what I wanted it to do. Dior is okay. Nars is better.

Ah...so I'm pretty much finished with my current wardrobe development. At my job we don't wear suits, so it's more involved than buying a set of suits. Still, for any job which doesn't require a uniform, you need to develop your work clothes, and it should be individual. Oftentimes individual costs money.

The only things left on my to-buy list are a fall/winter skirt, and better shoes (I'm hoping to fit one pair into this category) and a pair of boots. These are all going to be expensive, but I've planned it out so I don't need to buy any of them right away.

The skirt is surprisingly (or unsurprisingly, depending on the depth of your cynicism) hard to find. I have a plethora of summer skirts--these should be inexpensive, being only lightweight cotton or linen--but the fall skirt, I don't want tons of those, but it has to be good.

I started out looking at this one, from the Sundance catalog:

sundance carnegie skirt

It has most of the specs--machine wash, cotton velveteen (likely nice and cushy), good length--sisters, I'm almost 43 years old. I don't wear short skirts. This looks as if it wouldn't wrinkle easily, and the design seems flattering and easy to wear. It's also in no way trendy. This skirt could have been made twenty years ago, or could be done twenty years from now.

The sole bugger here is the color. It comes in a lovely red, and this brown. Plugging either into a swatch of my Photoshop wardrobe:

photoshop wardrobe

...shows that a nice brown or red skirt is not going to be the most useful color.

They have a green twill skirt:

sundance twill skirt

...where the color is more compatible, but twill is not the material I want.

Leafing through the other skirts on the site, I rejected them all, even though most of them would totally work on me. The object is not whether the piece will work on you. Is this piece going to work on you ten years from now? How many times will you have worn it in that decade?

That's strictly from perusing the website, of course. They are going to open a b & m Sundance locally :D and trying on is believing.

Labels: ,


0 Comment(s)



« Newer Posts | Older Posts »