sidebar pic
sidebar pic




Powered by Blogger
 

Life of Colleen: Wardrobe analysis, 2009: Shoes



Previous Posts
· Wardrobe analysis, 2009: Sweaters
· Wardrobe analysis, 2009
· NCIS Gibbs rules
· I, ah, don't care for the hat
· Dr. Hauschka shampoo review: Nasturtium and Lemon,...
· Mederma review, part 1
· Sundance Catalog sale
· More sentimental journeying
· U2 used to be good!
· Dr. Hauschka shampoo review: Macadamia and Orange ...

OOTD pics
Work wardrobe pics
Weekend wardrobe pics

Archives

independent fashion bloggers
What do programmers actually wear? Work wardrobe thoughts for a profession with no dress code, plus fashion, product reviews, et cetera.
Current blog
Profile
Contact
More product reviews
Children's art
 Subscribe in a reader

Search only this blog:


Google Custom Search

Other Wardrobe/Fashion Blogs & Sites
The Sartorialist
Fashion For Nerds
That's Chic
keiko lynn
respect the shoes
District of Chic
That Damn Green Dress
Bulo Shoes blog
Chictopia

J.Crew-Oriented Blogs
Gigi's Gone Shopping
J. Crew Aficionada
A Bigger Closet
Modestly Styled. Modestly Me.
My closet, my baby and I
770 Behind The Line (the (un)official J.Crew blog)

Makeup Blogs & Sites
Natural Kath
Makeup & Beauty Blog
Temptalia
Cosmetic Candy
Rouge Deluxe
Tracy's Beauty Blogsphere
Front Row Beauty (some fashion as well)
iCompact


Wardrobe analysis, 2009: Shoes
posted by Colleen Shirazi on Friday, January 2, 2009 at 12:01 AM (Pacific)


Aside from coats and heavy jackets, shoes are the most fundamental wardrobe staple...yadda yadda. I still haven't gotten mine, as I draw toward the close of my wardrobe project.

I do have my eye on some soon-to-be-end-of-the-season boots, to whit:

cydwoq campus

Only the ones I want are all black leather, not black paired with the burn-out design. I've nothing against the burn-out design; I tried it on in the "Handel" boot, and it's less funky and more versatile than it would seem.

Yet...the thing is this. I am getting shoes toward the end of my wardrobe development, not the beginning. It sounds counterintuitive; I'll guess most wardrobe gurus recommend you buy the shoes first, and jackets, then work the rest of the wardrobe around these key pieces.

However, I'm cheap. I would rather get some inexpensive footwear, like the Clarks "Tao" shoes I've been alternating for months:

clarks tao shoes

...until I get enough clothes--enough pieces to compose the outfit I want, day after day, week after week, season after season, without having stuff I don't wear--once this sartorial nirvana has been attained, the "right" shoes will become obvious. Because they are the last puzzle piece, they have to fit in with the already-assembled bulk of the puzzle.

I've tried the Campus boots on; the calves just fit me, while the ankles are not tight. Form-fitting ankles would make these boots feel dated (when I was a kid in the 70's, go-go boots were high fashion; I owned a pair), but the snug calf feels good. The height is cool too...taller than a "shootie," but not a tall boot.

The little wooden heel is ideal for clods like me. (While I was at it, I tried one of their 2" skinny heel models, the Skate bootie...which looked terrific, but I was hopeless in the heels.)

I'm dying to try something like this, in fact:

cydwoq amazone

Or these:
cydwoq gate

...with the shorter heel.

In that regard, it may be some time before I get my shoes, never mind the end-of-the-season boots. It's fine; I don't mind the Tao's. In fact I hate spending money on sandals, so I'm thinking of keeping something like the Tao in my rotation anyway.

images courtesy pedshoes.com, highartshoes.com

Labels: , ,


1 Comment(s)



« Newer Posts | Older Posts »