sidebar pic
sidebar pic




Powered by Blogger
 

Life of Colleen: Random wardrobe meanderings part 16



Previous Posts
· And then Fareed Zakaria says to me, he says...
· Hola!
· Sometimes you just have to do nothing.
· It was so hot...
· B.ella Codori Crochet Tights review
· Jewelry meanderings
· Random wardrobe meanderings part 15
· Random wardrobe meanderings part 14
· Random wardrobe meanderings part 12.51*
· Happy Friday!

OOTD pics
Work wardrobe pics
Weekend wardrobe pics

Archives

independent fashion bloggers
What do programmers actually wear? Work wardrobe thoughts for a profession with no dress code, plus fashion, product reviews, et cetera.
Current blog
Profile
Contact
More product reviews
Children's art
 Subscribe in a reader

Search only this blog:


Google Custom Search

Other Wardrobe/Fashion Blogs & Sites
The Sartorialist
Fashion For Nerds
That's Chic
keiko lynn
respect the shoes
District of Chic
That Damn Green Dress
Bulo Shoes blog
Chictopia

J.Crew-Oriented Blogs
Gigi's Gone Shopping
J. Crew Aficionada
A Bigger Closet
Modestly Styled. Modestly Me.
My closet, my baby and I
770 Behind The Line (the (un)official J.Crew blog)

Makeup Blogs & Sites
Natural Kath
Makeup & Beauty Blog
Temptalia
Cosmetic Candy
Rouge Deluxe
Tracy's Beauty Blogsphere
Front Row Beauty (some fashion as well)
iCompact


Random wardrobe meanderings part 16
posted by Colleen Shirazi on Tuesday, July 20, 2010 at 10:47 PM (Pacific)


handmade double strand pearl necklace

Yes, that is a stuffed animal. I didn't have one of those fake necks to model jewelry on, so the cuddly bear had to do.

I made two of these necklaces, the cream one and a grey pearl version I wore today. I don't have an image of the grey, it's quite similar though...the trick is to get two strands of fairly large freshwater pearls (you will have a few left over to make something else with), Softflex (beading wire made of fine strands of stainless steel covered with a clear coating)...pretty sure I used .014 21-strand?...crimps (tiny sterling silver tubes), and crimp covers (sterling hollow open beads you close over the crimps). That's one way to make it.

Here I used "wire guardians," which are small hollow sterling horseshoe-shaped pieces, to cover the Softflex where it touches the clasp--but I wouldn't make it that way now. I would use french wire, even with Softflex (it's fairly standard for silk thread). French wire is extremely fine wire in a tight coil; you cut off a little piece and string it over the loop of thread you want covered.

I wore grey and black today, which sounds kinda dreadful, but I was in a hurry and I think it came out okay.


j crew boatneck painter tee in soft dove
J.Crew Boatneck Painter Tee in Soft Dove

Here is my "grey" shirt, from the last batch o' boatneck painter tees (I really like these, but then I missed the prior batch with the nefarious raw-edged neckline). What I like about 'Crew, perhaps above all other factors, is their use of complex colors. So this, which would be drab and soul-sucking had any other mainstream manufacturer cranked it out, incorporates a little green and a flash of blue. It's rather like the sea on an overcast day. My grey pearls are the slightest bit green and subtly pink...so, though there was no obvious color, at least I avoided the funereal (which I've done before, typically involving too much black).

Labels: , , ,


0 Comment(s)



« Newer Posts | Older Posts »